The Virginia Historical Society has maintained the trust and support of its donors and members since 1831 by preserving the commonwealth's rich past for future generations. Maintaining and strengthening this trust will always be a paramount concern to the society. The VHS maintains a database of names and addresses of those persons who have supported us financially or otherwise have indicated an interest in our programming or activities. From time to time, these lists are used by the VHS to mail information (including our newsletter) to persons on the list or to seek financial support from them. To grow our membership and therefore assure our financial security, the VHS prospects for members/donors with other local and compatible non-profit organizations. To assure ethical use of the mailing list, the VHS has adopted the following policies:
Mailing List Policies
1. The Virginia Historical Society’s mailing list will be made available only on exchange. The list is not available for rental or sale and will only be exchanged with non-profit organizations when approved by administration. The mailing list will not be traded with candidates for public office, committees or organizations supporting a candidate, political parties, committees or organizations that solicit funds for use in political campaigns for any purpose whatsoever, or organizations that spend a substantial amount of their time and revenue lobbying. The list will not be exchanged with organizations whose purpose or reputation would damage the goodwill and trust between the VHS and its donors. The list will not be exchanged, rented, or sold for telemarketing use.
2. The vice president for advancement must approve each use of the mailing list. If there is any question about the exchange, the president and CEO will be consulted for final approval or disapproval.
3. The Virginia Historical Society, via its web site, will inform members and donors of how they can prevent their name from being exchanged, offer a means by which their names may be suppressed upon request, and suppress names as requested.
4. List exchanges will comply with all federal and state laws pertaining to the use of mailing lists by non-profit organizations.
5. The Virginia Historical Society will maintain complete and accurate records of all uses of membership and donor lists for fundraising purposes.
6. If you do not wish to have your name exchanged with any other organizations, please contact Matt Weber, Donor Services Officer, at 804.342.9658 or email@example.com.
Internet Privacy Policies
1. Our registration forms require users to provide contact information that may include name, email address, format preference (HTML vs. text), address, and personal interests. We do not request or store sensitive information from our visitors, such as credit card or social security numbers.
2. Internet Protocol Address: We collect an IP address from all visitors to our site. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet. We use IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our site, analyze trends, track navigation of the site, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use in order for us to improve the site. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
4. Security: All information provided to the Virginia Historical Society is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt, or scramble, data before you send it to us. We also protect account information by placing it on a secure portion of our site that is only accessible by qualified employees of the Virginia Historical Society.
5. Other web sites: The Virginia Historical Society's site contains links to other web sites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are entering another web site for which the VHS has no responsibility.
Do you have a question about our policies?
If you have a question about our Internet privacy policies, please contact us by email.
If you have a question about our mailing list policies, please contact Kelly Winters, membership services director, at 804.342.9658 or firstname.lastname@example.org.